Sunday, August 19, 2012

32:21 & The Running Store

Wow.  50 seconds off!  50 seconds!!  I did a bunch of sprints at a 7.5 and a lot at an 8 as well.  I also bumped my "slow" speed to 5.5 for a bit of the run in the beginning, but eventually had to go back to the 5.3 because it was proving to be too much.  I'm OK with that though because I ran a 5K in 32:21!!

I didn't get to run outside today, but I did make it to Fleet Feet in Marlton.  I bought my first pair of REAL running sneakers today.  The whole fitting process was fun too - I don't think I've even been measured for shoes since I was about 11!  The guy helping me reminded me of a young Johnny Damon and tried not to make fun of the shoes I am currently running in, which are youth sized Nike's that I got for $25 about 5 years ago.  No wonder I had blisters!  He pretty much predicted the aches & pains that I'm feeling and agreed that new sneaks should help out.  He said that there were many problems with the shoes I've been wearing: 
1.  They are Nike's, which apparently aren't good running sneakers.
2.  They were designed to be worn by 14 year old boys, not an adult woman.
3.  They are the wrong size for me.
As it turns out, there is almost a half-size difference between my two feet!  Who knew?! 

So for the fitting process...He measured both feet, sitting down & standing up.  He watched me walk.  He watched me run.  He watched me balance on one foot.  He watched me hop from foot to foot.  He decided that I had a "sturdy base", to use his words, and informed me that I have a "normal" arch and am a "normal pronator".  So much vocabulary to learn!  Go here to read more - they explain it better anyway!  So he recommended that since I'm only aiming to do 5K's and not marathons that I get a neutral shoe with some cushioning.  I tried on some New Balance's and wasn't a fan.  Second up were a pair of Saucony's and these felt fantastic.  The last pair were Brooks' and they had more cushioning and a higher heel than the others.  At first I didn't like how they felt when I stood in them.  But when I ran I felt like they gave me some pretty good spring action so I started to like them.  I went back & forth between the Saucony's & Brooks' for a while.  I'm really happy that since it was so close to closing there weren't any other people in the store, because he had me running throughout it and I felt a little silly!  But it was just another day of work for everyone who worked there, so after about the 5th lap around the store I was comfortable.  I ultimately decided on the Saucony's, even though they are pink.  They felt the best and were $20 cheaper than the Brooks'.  So I am the proud new owner of the Saucony Ride 5.

These is my new runnin' shoes...Jennyyyy...
My Color Run is this upcoming weekend, and I think I will use the Nike's and possibly bid them adieu afterwords as well.  I spent too much money on these new sneakers to have them covered in color one week in!

I'd say this was a pretty fantastic running day for me!  A new fastest time and new kicks recommended by Johnny Damon!  What will tomorrow bring?!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, i am so excited that you got new kicks, and esp from a store that could fit you. That was a very smart move! Agree on the keeping them clean thing - one more run in the Nikes will not kill you. Plus, I always feel a little bad for shoes that I swap out in the middle of a training cycle. It's like they did so much work and don't get to enjoy the payoff!

    ReplyDelete